On New Year’s Eve last night, I had a blast. And I’m very happy right now for one big reason: I made good decisions. That is to say, there were several instances where I could have chosen to do something or act in a way that I’d be second guessing today at best – and at worst, something I’d be beating myself up about doing.
Not beating myself up too much over not-really-that-bad decisions was something I spent a lot of time working on last year. Because, it doesn’t help at all to repeatedly scold yourself about something you said or did that you can’t change (think Chris Farley in his interviews on SNL when he tells himself “Stupid! You're so stupid.”).
But today I’m not even having to do that. This morning I’m waking up to 2012 excited for what today has in store rather than worrying about last night. Today I recognize that I’m getting there – I’m becoming who I really want to be.
I really like the rarely-sung last verse of Auld Lang Syne:
And there's a hand, my trusty friend,
And give a hand o' thine,
And we'll take a right good willie-waught (a goodwill draught)
For auld lang syne!
And there's a hand, my trusty friend,
And give a hand o' thine,
And we'll take a right good willie-waught (a goodwill draught)
For auld lang syne!

No comments:
Post a Comment