Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Me I'm Being Better


This was going to be a response to a friend's blog post, but the comment didn't submit correctly so I decided to share it here.

I decided a while back to stop trying to get smiley faces on my papers and, when I let someone down, to own up to it and say, "Yeah, I failed. So what?" I thought it would be this grand "here's the new Matthew" party and everyone would love that I'm being real - that I only laugh at their jokes when I find them funny and that I only smile when I mean it.

But it turns out, most people don't like honesty. Or, more so, they are scared to death of someone being real with them. Most of my friends actually didn't notice a huge change because I was already pretty real with them, but the people I work with sure did. They couldn't (can't) handle it. So I've gotten complaints and I've had to fight some serious battles. But the point is that I like the me I'm being better now because I'm acting how I really feel and saying what I really think - whether I think anyone will like it or not. And that's pretty liberating.

Your post was by no means an invitation for me to write this, but I had to share it somewhere. Thanks for writing a piece that resonated enough with my soul to also want to share.

1 comment: